Monday, October 15, 2007

Snap, Crackle, and Pop

I have had a few bad habits through the years. I bit my nails as a little girl, but then one day when I was about 12 I just decided not to, and haven't bit since. In college, my diet consisted of Diet Coke, Diet Coke, and more Diet Coke, but then I wised up and realized that such a heavy dose of aspartame can't be healthy, and now I drink it and other sodas sparingly. Then there is the peculiar habit of pulling out my eyelashes, which is often connected to stress or emotionalness (that's not a word but whatever). The worst was the MTC - completely bald eyelids. But I have been pretty good at this lately; I don't think I have had any bald spots in the last year or more, so either I have a low stress life or maybe I've kicked the habit. The one that I struggle the most with, though, is popping my knuckles and other joints. I just can't seem to get over this one. As many times as I've said no more, I have started right back again. I hate this about myself and I really want to stop, any suggestions?

8 comments:

becca said...

This entry was hilarious. The funny part is - doesn't tyler pluck out his eyelashes, too. Or is it his eyebrows? You two were made for eachother! Can't help with the habit breaking... I still bite my nails...

Holly and Dave said...

i pull out my hair (from my head) and i've tried to stop again and again, but to no avail. it just feels so good when i'm stressed out! so i can empathize with you, but are short on suggestions! maybe once the arthritis comes for you and the balding for me, we'll wise up! until then....???

Michelle said...

i think you're doing good on kicking the other ones...cut yourself some slack! could be a lot worse ya know! it was good to see you guys at the luncheon today..even though it was only for 2 minutes! let's play soon, let us know when you guys have an open weekend!

Lorilee said...

I had no idea you pulled out your eyelashes too!?!...doesn't Tyler pull his out?... I've seen his horrible habit of yanking out his eyebrows by the root, but can't remember about the eyelashes. Your kids are doomed.

Cami @ All Things Lovely said...

Sara! Can I just say that you crack me up! I loved this post...I love your honesty! But guess what pulling out your hair (eyelashes, hair on head, or eye brows) is actually a disease...I can't remember what it is called, a girl in my class has it and it is stress induced. You are lucky, she has NO eye lashes or eye brows what so ever!
Anyways I love your posts! Lets hang out this weekend. Maybe we can meditate or do some yoga and get rid of this stress! You and your eye lash pulling, me and my teeth clenching. Good thing we have really funny husbands!
Cami

*Leslie* said...

As you know, I bite my nails until they almost bleed. I've been trying to stop for years but, I can't. So, really, I'm impressed you could kick the other habits and just have 1 left. Good Luck.

Jer + Lu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jer + Lu said...

You are too funny! I'm impressed with all the bad habits you've kicked. To be honest, the knuckle and joint popping is the only one of your habits I actually remember-so I guess it must be your worst one! I can't picture you without eyelashes-- that's bizarre. I pulled most mine out trying to remove fake eyelashed once and it hurt like no other! And you do it for stress relief?! You went on a mission?! I think I missed a big chunk of your life! We should get together and catch up. Anyway, I too gave up soda-- cold turkey, and popping my knuckles, but I still bite my nails, so maybe we're supposed to hang on to at least one vice... Good luck!