Monday, April 16, 2007

Surprise!!!

Sunday morning, at 2:30 a.m. I pulled up to the Salt Lake airport. Only 2 flights were scheduled to arrive, both from Las Vegas (I guess that's where the party's at). On one of those flights was my brother Dave, coming as a surprise visit from London. We snuck him into my parents house in a stealth manner that would rival that of any secret agent. When my unsuspecting parents woke up, there he was...Surprise! They were, needless to say, overjoyed!!

One of the highlights of Dave's visit was our potato chip taste test. Apparently in London there is quite a diverse variety of potato chip flavors. Dave picked just 37 different flavors.

The potato chip feast included 8 different cheese and onion flavors (e.g. Red Leicester & Spring Onion, Taw Valley Cheddar & Caramelized Shallot), 12 varieties with meat flavoring (e.g.Lamb & Mint, Lincolnshire Sausage & Wholegrain Mustard, Oven Roasted Chicken with Lemon & Thyme, Flame Grilled Steak), 5 salt based (e.g. Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar, Sea Salt, Malt Vinegar & a twist of Lemon), 6 spicy types (e.g. Gently Infused Lime & Thai spices, Spicy Jalapeno Chilli & Lemon) and 6 residual flavors that didn't quite fit in a category (e.g. Prawn Cocktail, Crispy Seaweed & Miso, Yogurt, Cucumber & Mint).

Now, I don't care much for potato chips, but really how many people can say that they have tried all of these bizarre flavors. So I gave it a whirl. I only got 11/37 right. I didn't get any of the cheese matched correctly, and only one of the salts. My best category was the meats, interestingly. The Prawn Cocktail, Lamb &Mint and Oriental Spring Onion topped my "Not so yummy" list. My favorite was Parsnip with Honey & Black Pepper.

It was quite the event, and although it probably should have been followed by a sprint marathon, we had a great time. But most of all, it was great to be able to spend the time with Dave!!

2 comments:

Lorilee said...

I honestly can't believe my eyes...really? Lamb and Mint, or Flame Grilled Steak, sick.
I'm a potato chip lover, but I'm not quite sure I could go for a bag of Lincoln Sausage & Wholegrain Mustard Chips to go with my pb&j.
It's funny how if you complied the chips just right, you could create an entire dinner's flavor just by eating potato chips. Now they just need banana split flavor for dessert.

Sarah said...

Lori, You should create that. It sounds Delicious!