Thursday, February 22, 2007

It is a sad sad day!!! I have always thought, at least since I had my last growth spurt a million years ago, that I was just under 5'6" about 5'5" and 3/4", or at the least 1/2". But, not just one, but two independent measurements from different measuring "sticks" at the Huntsman Cancer Institute confirmed that I am in actuality only 5'5". I find it hard to believe that all my previous measurements were wrong, although they were performed with a yard stick in the middle of my parent's kitchen, so the only conclusion is that I am shrinking. This would only be bearable if the rate were slow and the shrinking were equal between height and width, or perhaps a little more on the width side. But before I start putting a phone book in the driver's seat of my car, or call Russ to break and elongate my bones, I better give it a year or two to see if I am really shrinking or just a terrible yard stick reader.

5 comments:

Lorilee said...

FINALLY!!!!
Sarah, I have recently had this exact same problem. I have always been told that I am 5'7"... all through highschool and college. Every measurement was 5'7". In the past few months I have seen a couple of Doctors and each of them told me that I am 5'6" and a 1/2. It's amazing how devastating that little 1/2 an inch loss has been.

tylah said...

I think this whole "height being undermeasured" thing going on in Doctors' offices is a conspiracy. It's all part of the psychological advantage they possess over their patients. I shouldn't be telling you this - it's all extremely private information. So whoever reads this, just email me and let me know cuz now I'll have to kill you.

Anonymous said...

you guys aren't alone. I used to be a tall 5'3" for years. I slowly came to accept the 5' 2 3/4" that the doctors were giving me. Then low and behold, I had two different measurements tell me 5'2 1/2"!! i'm only 23 yet shrinking... between the bone shrinking, osteoporosis, and fragile-skinned hands, you would think i was 83! hang in there sarah- you've got 2 1/2 inches on me :)

Sarah said...

Well I am glad to hear that I am not alone. I do think it is quite bizarre though, that we would all be shrinking.

Lorilee said...

blog already!!!!