Monday, August 1, 2011

Truth be told

Well now we live in Oklahoma. There's not much to say yet, it certainly hasn't won over any of my heart with this horrible weather, humid and 105-110 degrees everyday. We thought we were leaving the hot hot heat in Arizona, but we were wrong, very wrong. I am hoping that something will redeem this place, so I can bear living here for the next 3 years. But so far, it's been rough. I don't mean to complain, but the last couple of months have been the hardest of my life. I have cried more in the first few weeks here than any other time in my life. Thankfully Tyler's parents flew to AZ and made the 16 hour drive with us to OK and spent a few days here to help us clean and set up. We were so sad to see them go, they were here at a critical time for us. And oh so thankfully my parents came out a couple of weeks later, driving 18 hours each way within one week - talk about love! - to bring us some of our things we had in storage and help us with some home improvements. Oh how I cried, like a little baby, when they pulled out of my driveway to go home. My parents and Tyler's parents have no idea how much they helped us while they were here, I can't even express in words how much their sacrifices of time, money and labor meant to us, but ever so much more just their presence and love, I am crying now just thinking of it. I honestly don't know how we would have survived this first month here without their love and support. AZ was a different story, it was fun to have a little adventure there, and we knew it was only for 1 year, so we knew any issue we didn't love there was so very short and temporary. But here we are now in OK, one month down 35 to go, and it seems so overwhelming. We are so unfamiliar with everything, so lonely and Tyler's program is so hard and grueling. I know it just takes time to make friends and get settled; we saw that in AZ and certainly experienced a similar rough patch in the beginning of both our missions. So we know there is hope and we know it will get better, but we just can't wait to get there.
Anyway, on a more upbeat note: We finally have a garage and a yard, Hooray! We are still trying to figure out where everything goes in this new little house and don't have any pictures yet, but will soon.
Ben is doing pretty good, he is starting to feel at home here and has stopped saying "no new house, other house" - requesting to go back to AZ - which is good. He is so darn cute, the other night he sang his favorite song "families can be together forever" all by himself and then prayed his whole prayer by himself, and it made my day. Thankfully I have such a sweet little guy and dear husband to brighten my life even when it's hard.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

SARAH!!!!!!!!!! EMAIL ME!
tmrydman@gmail.com
Aly and I have been wondering how you are! We're going to Glen's cabin this weekend.

I MISS YOU!!!

Holly and Dave said...

I'm so so glad you decided to blog again :) I love your honesty and openness- it is refreshing. I think of you guys often and hope you are doing well. I know you have each other, and will grow to love and treasure your new adventure.

Seidi said...

A blog post!! Awesome. You motivate me to do one. So good to chat with you the other day, even if it was over texts. We need to talk on a more regular basis. You can pull through!!! It'll get better, I know it. You should call me friend Heather. She'll help you learn to love Oklahoma. I'll shoot her an email to let her know you're there. Keep going, you'll make it!

Emily Reese said...

Sarah, I shall give you a call... When we moved to Rochester, I felt very similar, but didn't have a son at the time to keep me smiling. You are so lovely that once people get to know you they will be bugging you non stop to play with you and Ben. I sure wish I lived by you.... Em

Unknown said...

Sarah,
I was just sitting here reading everyone's blogs. I read yours and it reminded me so much of when we moved to North Carolina--me prego, three children, driving around in the middle of a heat wave and all that wretched humidity trying to find somewhere that would rent to us and all of our kids, me trying to suck in my four-month belly. Can you say "nightmare"? I know exactly how you feel. I cried for two solid weeks and I didn't even care if my kids saw. All I can say is it does get better. Travis and Nichole loved living in Oklahoma City and would trade living there for Mississippi anyday. But now they are even getting settled in Mississippi. Everything takes time. Give time time, whatever that means. I read that somewhere. I now have very fond memories of living in North Carolins even though at the time I felt like I was in foreign country. I wish Travis and Nichole were still there for you! Hang in there!

*Leslie* said...

I miss you terribly and can hardly wait for you to move home, and hopefully within about a block of me! But, until then, I bet things will look up in a few months and you'll make some great friends.

Lorilee said...

I wish there was something I could say that hasn't already been said and would make you feel better... but I'm afraid there's not. I love you guys, and know you will like Oklahoma one day, and when you leave there it will be sad. It will change your life being there, you will be better people for having gone through this.
Just think only one more month of your really hot summer. Fall will be better, you will feel like you are progressing and you may actually enjoy the weather.
Keep your chin up, and call me whenever you need to talk.

Nichole said...

Sarah, It's so hard being in a new area so far from home but I can honestly tell you that you will grow to love Oklahoma so much. As you know already, Trav and I spent four years of our lives there and at the end of the four years, we were so so sad to leave because we loved it so much. In fact, we are thinking about maybe opening a practice there permanently(we'll see). It is a little of a shocker of how hot it can get but you will learn to love the culture and learn to love the kind people there! We miss it. I'm so sorry you feel so sad and overwhelmed. Hang in there girl- honestly, I know exactly how you are feeling now because I am not loving Mississippi and being so far away from family and travis being in a tough program as well! I do know that you and I both will be stronger and better because of what we are doing. Stay strong! I PROMISE things WILL get better for you! Love ya, Nichole

Karolien and Johan said...

sister vincent! we are so proud of you. you are doing such a great job and we know you'll be just fine. Remember how Belgium was a weird place a how much you liked the humidity??? I can't wait to see some pictures. Enjoy this new experience and every challange will make you an even greater chick! lova ya x

Sara said...

hey stranger! i just found you blog...and i'm sorry you are not loving your new life. my friend just moved to oklahoma for her hubbies residency too and she feels the same way as you. i'm not sure what area they are in but maybe you guys could get together? her name is alyson sharp and she is on facebook...let me know if you want her contact info and hang in there!:)

The Cannons said...

I have also had a similar experience in Virginia after jack was born. These are hard times. I would suggest diving into all your amazing crafts and baking. Make your home a haven especially if it's too hot to go outside:-) You are so talented and if you keep yourself busy that's the best medicine for the lonely days.